Blog background



I have been deeply involved in sharing my understanding with fellow stutterers, speech and language pathologists and researchers, especially in the 90's. The older part of this blog reports some the discussions I was having on a professional list at that time. Most of the discussions are still relevant today.

I remained involved in the stuttering community, mostly as participant in activities of the National Stuttering Association (NSA), and occasional workshop leader. Since my retirement I have returned to writing, and I just developed an audio course on fluency improvement. A link for the course can be found in this blog, as well as posts based on more recent discussions I am having in a Stuttering Facebook group.

Wednesday, March 29, 1995

Core behaviors

In answer to comments by Woody Starkweather on core behaviors

A few points:

1. I am glad you agree that this deeper or initial "core" is a key to
understanding stuttering and to early therapeutic intervention. In this
case let me be less shy about suggesting that a good name be attached
to this concept in order to distinguish it from "traditional" core
behaviors. Thinking produces language and language produces new thinking.
Labels ARE important!

2. Assuming an "initial core" a transient state and a final steady state
("traditional core" ... my modeling background is showing), then lots
of research questions come up. How long is the transient? This the
period during which we learn our own very personal way of stuttering.
Months? Years? How malleable do we remain and for how long? I have been
always struck by the notion that learning a second language before about 11
years of age (in the new country) all but guarantees the ability to have no
accent, while after that age it's always a long struggle. And my
previous questions: how does coping during this period shape the stuttering
"style"? Is an understanding of how one coped initially and during the
transient a good prognosticator for the most appropriate type of therapy?
There is much work about how one learns language. How DOES one learn
stuttering? (good hints are coming out of your work!).


3. Woody, I was very surprised when I first found out that you were NOT
a stutterer! ... And that's the HIGHEST compliment. I really think that
you and many other (non stuttering) SLPs on this list understand stuttering
>From the "inside out" in a way I didn't think was possible. I find this
very reassuring. I wish there had been such a way to communicate years
ago...

No comments: