Wednesday, January 25, 1995

Model-1

To M. Schwartz

> We have gone around in one big loop. In an earlier message you
> described three apparently seperate "theories" of stuttering (organic
> based, tension based and learning based), then made the following statement:
>
> > > "So, as you can see, all three theories are correct and all have their
> > > appropriate place in the model"
> > >
>
> To this I replied the following
> >
> >
> > Indeed I think all three "theories" are "correct" i.e. they cover
> > likely important aspects of the stuttering phenomenon, but I fail
> > to see how your model is a particularly parsimonious way to account
> > for them.
> >
> > An organic weakness can easily make someone more vulnerable to
> > tension (some people blush instead of stuttering - my palms sweat...AND
> > I (used to) stutter under tension). In addition, when faced with
> > difficulties, we learn behaviors that seem to help us overcome them.
> > Sometimes these behaviors end up being worse than the problem. Persons
> > who blush may cover their faces with their hands, which may end up
> > being more noticeable than the blushing...
> >
> > In this context one can have therapies that work at decreasing tension,
> > unlearning unproductive behaviors and/or learning good ones, and, if
> > a good drug is found, the "root" organic problem might be addressed
> > as well (too much or too little seratonen...or what have you).
> >
>
>
This simple explanation of how these ideas can easily be combined in
> providing a rough accounting of stuttering behavior is what I called
> "model 1" ... just as a reference point. I make no claims of having
> created or proposed a model that is "mine". Model-1, it seems to
> me, (please SLPs correct me if I am wrong) underlies most therapeutic
> efforts in stuttering.
>
> My question to you was and is very simple: are there stuttering behaviours
> which can be accounted for ONLY by your model and not by this
> reference model (Model-1)? I really would like to understand.
>

No comments: