Blog background



I have been deeply involved in sharing my understanding with fellow stutterers, speech and language pathologists and researchers, especially in the 90's. The older part of this blog reports some the discussions I was having on a professional list at that time. Most of the discussions are still relevant today.

I remained involved in the stuttering community, mostly as participant in activities of the National Stuttering Association (NSA), and occasional workshop leader. Since my retirement I have returned to writing, and I just developed an audio course on fluency improvement. A link for the course can be found in this blog, as well as posts based on more recent discussions I am having in a Stuttering Facebook group.

Thursday, October 17, 1996

Onset and ending of "Sudden Fluency"

Victoria Benson reported on her own experience of "sudden fluency" for a period of about two months after an accident (brain stem injury). Then the stuttering returned.

Vicki:

How did people "explain" to you this occurrence (sudden fluency)? It goes completely against all "learning" models. It is as if someone were to suddenly start speaking French...

From a neurological point of view, however, this can be explained as a very organic effect, such as a chemical produced as a result of the injury and recovery process, which happened to offset whatever causes our neurological problem. As the recovery process ended, the original "set point" took over.

Unfortunately this is a kind of experiment I WOULDN'T want to take part in...
Glad you made it back stuttering and all!

No comments: